In real-life news, I just received a job offer. No more potential as a real-life mendicant. That news lets me relax just a little before my job prep to get a long-requested build to you.
As I mentioned before, I’ve been using Lynncletica, my Little Mountain Shintao Monk, as a very successful and potent tank in nearly 35 Deathwyrm runs (all difficulties) and several other raids.
In Legendary Hound of Xoriat, Lynncletica easily held aggro on Zyzzy and her puplings with Ki Shout and an effective 105 Intimidate in an Legendary Normal run. She was doing fine in Legendary Hard but has yet to complete. That’s a tough challenge even with a prepared party with great coordination, and you don’t win raids alone.
So what makes her special? Not too much. It’s time to share that.
- Fortification: Unyielding Sentinel is the central tanking destiny. With a +70 Insightful Fortification helm, Brace for Impact, and the Outfit of the Celestial Guardian, Lynn sits at 286% to 315% Fortification.
- Miss-chance: 27% Dodge, 10% Incorporeal with an item, 20-25% Concealment. All with gear but Blur can be done through the Wind/Light/Wind Monk finishing move.
- AC: Improved Combat Expertise, Combat Expertise, Ultimate Earth Stance and other gear for around 138 to 158 AC based on buffs and gear.
- PRR: 158 to 180. This really absorbs a lot of damage combined with the usual Monk abilities in effect.
- HP: Around 1200-1400. She can take several hits without flinching.
- Healing amplification: 180-270. Typical 180 when tanking to maximize defense. Can use Healing Ki for 400+ HP heal every 10 seconds. Rejuvenation Cocoon also improved. These numbers make for 400-600 HP from a Cure Light Wounds spell.
- Concentration skill: 101-105. Ki Shout makes this the Intimidation skill with solid aggro and threat generation from Earth Stance and Unyielding Sentinel. What’s mine stays mine.
Lynn’s gear at level 30 isn’t particularly special. Her design leverages more STR (2:1 ratio). at 50 STR to 24 DEX to optimize damage but gain some Reflex saves and AC. Feats that add PRR or damage absorption improve durability in fights. With a bit of juggling of special buffs and gear, Lynn can briefly reach 75 STR needed for levers in Legendary Elite Tempest’s Spine.
CON is the highest stat at 55 base, as Monks gain only 75% HP per level as others. But this works well as high CON and Insightful CON items are worn.
For Epic feats, I chose Guardian Angel, Elusive Target and Epic Damage Reduction to soak or avoid additional damage. Dire Charge helps offensively for aggro control. The Legendary feat I chose was Scion of Limbo. Monks are used to one-minute buffs, and the many variations possible were all positive ones, either augmenting defense or offensive regularly without me having to do anything. You could also consider other Legendary feats to give a fixed defensive or offensive bonus.
With handwraps such as Storm’s Harness, Epic Scraps of Enlightenment and now some Complete Thunder-Forged Handwraps with Mortal Fear, Lynn’s innate metal-bypass has no problem hurting what she needs to hurt and well. Stunning Fist is available with a high WIS item switch-out, bringing the ability to a useable level, boosting AC a bit. However, raids rarely allow you to stun much.
The general gear list includes things that primarily enhance defense. These items may be merged or adjusted using Cannith Crafting or other items.
- Clothing: Outfit of the Celestial Guardian
- Belt: Legendary Animated Rope (increased Dodge but decreases Threat) or, better, the Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance (Dodge +11, Resistance +11, Negative Energy Absorption 21%, Concentration +20)
- Helm: +72 Insightful Fortification with +10 Insightful Intimidate. Always include Insightful Fortification.
- Bracers: +40 Equipment Bonus Healing Amplification or Dumathoin’s Bracers
- Boots: Severlin’s Leaden Boots (Insightful STR +6) (only available from the Anniversary Party event) but Orcish Privateer’s Boots, Legendary Boots of the Devil Commander and others are suitable
- Gloves: STR +15 gloves. If STR is elsewhere, Iron Mitts help greatly with HP and healing amplification
- Cloak: Situational. Guardian’s Cloak (good DR/slashing and piercing) or Jeweled Cloak (spell absorption if in “Red-Light/Green-Light,” one of Deathwyrm trial rooms)
- Rings: Any. The Legendary Ring of Power adds Quality STR and Melee Alacrity 15%, but definitely have CON +15 or better here or elsewhere
- Neck: Any. The epic Jorgundal’s Collar gives you two augment slots and Melee Alacrity 15%, but you can add something better as long as you Melee Alacrity somewhere
I didn’t add the Twists to the build. I strongly recommend Rejuvenation Cocoon and Brace for Impact (If not in Unyielding Sentinel) no matter what else you select. Enlightenment from Grandmaster of Flowers is good. Also, Standing with Stone for more stacking PRR while in Earth Stance. Improved Combat Expertise from Legendary Dreadnaught adds more PRR.
Like many builds, there’s much flexibility in what you take, just as long you don’t remove much of the special damage reduction or HP benefits. Adjusting WIS and DEX to lower levels will impact AC and saves. Naturally, use Yugoloth favor potions and DDO Store elixirs for added power.
Attached is a PDF file of the build. (WordPress has limitations for what I can upload.) Open the file using Adobe Reader or other PDF reader, copy the text and paste it into a text editor such as Notepad and save it as ShintaoGuardian.txt. You should be able to import the text file directly in Character Builder Lite to adjust as you see fit.